Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review for Divergent

Divergent
By: Veronica Roth

So I have read many review's on this book. A lot of them not good! I have no idea why, everyone to their own opinion. I loved this book, I thought Graceling was hard to put down, pfft this one I pretty much didn't put down unless I absolutely had to! It sucked me in and was like a roller coaster ride all the way to the end!



  I love how Veronica Roth doesn't leave out any detail, you feel like you're there with the main characters. Beatrice the female main character is at first this shy, curious girl that tries her hardest to obey her faction's rules. She has to work hard to be like her abnegation parents, while they make it seem as natural as breathing. Altogether there are five factions. Abnegation which are selfless, Dauntless who are brave, Candor who are honest, Amity are the peaceful bunch, and lastly the Erudite who are the geniuses of the city. 
  Once children reach a certain age they are required to meet on a certain day every year after a series of tests to choose which Faction they will spend the rest of their lives in. It isn't as simple as it sounds though, the tests do not stop there. You are tested for a certain amount of time in the Faction you've chosen to see if you can make the cut as well. If you don't then you are Faction-less. In our terms homeless pretty much. You have no home, or point to your life any longer. The reason for the tests before you choose is to rule out all but one Faction to show you where you would excel best. The problem is Beatrice's test results say that she could excel in THREE. Which means she is a Divergent. This is not a good thing, she is warned not to say anything to anyone about these results and her test results are documented with one Faction. Her test giver covers for her so others will not know the true results. It is a secret she must carry with her, sometimes it scares her.
   Beatrice chooses Dauntless. She goes through being called a Stiff at the beginning because she came from Abnegation. Who are well kind of stiff, so it's an appropriate nick name I suppose. She has to prove herself to the others, prove to them she isn't a boring, timid mouse. Which she does, she works hard and learns fast. Near the end of their training things start to go terribly wrong. And it doesn't get better as the Final Tests come up fast. Tris (Beatrice's new name) learns who her true friends are, secrets that shock her, and love whether she is prepared for it or not. This is an amazing book! I already started the next one, Insurgent. I will put a review of it up as well when I am finished. I hope that anyone that reads this book enjoys it as much as I did. 
Thank you Jenn for recommending this book to me! 


-Rebecca 

No comments:

Post a Comment